Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Social Media


My sister and I were recently discussing all of the things that we had to learn to do one handed once our babies came. Like making dinner, using a fork, cleaning things, etc. But for both of us, the most important one- handed accomplishment was turning on the computer to check Facebook.

It’s really sick. A whole new era of stalking has emerged. I care more about posting baby pictures and stalking other peoples’ (including my sister) than ever before. Yeah, weddings are alright, but baby pictures are where it’s at.

And then I discovered all the baby stuff you can buy on sites like Etsy. The bows and hats are so stinkin cute I can’t even stand it. And one of a kind, which makes it even better. I want every single thing I can find for her on there. I eventually had to forfeit my store cards to my husband for a Christy Debt Consolidation Program.

And with a change of subject, I’m going to use this opportunity to set everyone straight on something. A few weeks ago, I went out with some college friends for a drink after the hubbo got home from work. One of my friend’s husbands remarked that it is super annoying when new moms and dads post pictures of their children on facebook ALONE. Like, without a parent present in the photo.

What couples without babies and single people need to understand is we really don’t want you to see our atrocious post pregnancy bodies until we bounce back a little. Like I’m not about to post fat pictures of myself. Single people and couples without babies are not expected to do this, so why should I be? A baby bump is cute up until delivery, but really, nobody wants to see that mess afterwards. Just sayin. So let’s give the new moms (and even dads) a break on this one, just this once.

2 comments:

  1. My second daughter was awake every 90 minutes for several months, and I told my students that if my replies to their emails were time-stamped between midnight and 3 a.m., and had no punctuation or capital letters, it was because I was typing them one-handed with a cranky baby on my shoulder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. People who want to see babies in pictures with someone else need to realize that usually there is no one else to take the picture. I would say 90% of Caroline's pics have been taken when she and I are home alone. I mean, come on, is Colby going to take the picture?

    ReplyDelete